Existing conditions were documented for all 23 kV, 5 kV, and 0.5 kV building services including:
- Single-line schematic diagram drawings.
- Short circuit, load flow and voltage drop analysis.
- Arc-flash analysis and label placement for 175 locations.
- Protective device coordination curves.
Recommendations and plan of development documents included:
- Single-line schematic diagram with recommended changes and additions.
- Short circuit analysis with effects of renovated Ohio Edison 23 kV primary services.
- Protective device coordination curve modifications.
- Development plan with budgetary costs.
Evolutionary stages of the primary electrical system envision:
- Build-out of the University’s 23 kV, dual looped tie cable configuration and third service point.
- Adoption of 23 kV level circuit breaker protection.
- Adoption of expanded protective devices, especially ground fault protection of feeder cables.
- Tapping the dual looped tie cables for distributed loads via 23 kV pad-mounted service transformers.
- Adoption of 12 kA circuit breakers in outdoor low profile pad-mounted style.
- Reduction of 5 kV services, cables and sources.
- Adoption of centralized system monitoring, including selected generator sets.