Fosdick & Hilmer was the MEP engineer, controls integrator, and lighting designer for Cincinnati Children’s “Location T” Clinical Research Building, a 14 story, 420,000 square foot building that combines traditional “wet” laboratory space with “dry” labs, clinics, executive office space, and a penthouse meeting and gathering space. The combination of wet labs with dry labs, in which research is conducted using sophisticated computer modeling and analysis, and with clinics, in which patients can receive treatments that have been customized in the labs specifically to the individual, represents a significant advancement toward achieving Cincinnati Children’s goal to “Change the Outcome” for pediatric patients.
Fosdick & Hilmer engineered the major infrastructure such that it can provide and receive supplemental back-up from the adjacent research buildings, thereby enhancing reliability for the new and existing buildings and reducing overall cost.
- 4,000 Ton chilled water plant,
- 40,000 lb/hr central steam plant
- Existing facility hot glycol boilers for heating hot water
- Laboratory gases
- A central station 750,000 cfm air handling system with energy recovery
- Specialized air pressure monitoring and control to contain odors and pathogens
- A 6,000 kW diesel driven standby electric power plant
- Combination LED and CFL lighting with daylight controls
- A digital multiplexed fire alarm system
- Telecommunications and data wiring
Fosdick & Hilmer provided full design and integration of control and automation systems for the building using industrial grade instruments and programmable logic controllers, all interfaced with the CCHMC’s campus-wide Wonder-Ware HMI software, for which Fosdick & Hilmer created new graphic and trending screens.
Fosdick & Hilmer provided complete lighting design for the building that included photometrics, cost-benefit analysis of light sources for each task, lighting controls that include use of daylighting, and very innovative exterior lighting that gives the building its signature night-time appearance.
The Location T Building is certified LEED Silver by the U.S. Green Building Council. Fosdick & Hilmer performed building envelope energy analysis and engineered systems to help achieve the Silver certification.