Fosdick & Hilmer was brought on by Johnson Controls, the performance contractor responsible for the project, to provide engineering and design to replace the system within a 12 month design and construction window. Project was completed on schedule in September 2015.
Work was performed on a constrained site and back-up boilers had to maintain steam to the ORNL complex throughout the replacement process.
- Prepared specifications for Owner purchase of large mechanical and electrical equipment.
- Three 60,000 lb./hr., 250 psig, ultra-low NOx gas and № 2 fuel oil fired packaged steam boilers with economizers and stub stacks.
- Utilization of an existing condensing heat exchanger to transfer heat from boiler flue gas to RO make-up water
- Modification of all boiler plant piping systems to serve the new boilers and plant configuration.
- New CBD and IBD systems.
- Installation of new switchgear and MCC’s
- Direct digital control system including integration with combustion control system and burner management systems.
- Partial demolition and renovation in a central heating plant.