Hamilton County Courthouse
Fosdick & Hilmer was the MEP engineering consultant for renovation of the 9 level, 600,000 SF historic Hamilton County Courthouse constructed in 1915. The building houses the Court of Common Pleas, Municipal Court, Law Library, and Hamilton County Clerk of Courts. Renovation of entire facility was accomplished over three phases.
The first phase began with a new boiler and chiller plant to serve the facility, upgraded switchgear and electrical power system, and infrastructure improvements in preparation for future phases of facility renovation. The boiler/heating system consists of five-200 H.P. gas fired modular boilers and a 50 H.P. boiler for summertime operation. The plant is designed to accommodate an additional 200 H.P. boiler. The chiller/cooling system includes two 300 ton electric centrifugal chillers, with space provided for future addition of two 300 ton screw chillers.
One portion of each floor was renovated during each phase. Infrastructure improvements included HVAC, plumbing, fire suppression, electrical power distribution, lighting, digital control system, fire alarm, data, security and telecommunication systems. The areas renovated include courtrooms, judge’s chambers, jury rooms, offices and common areas. All restrooms were renovated to meet current ADA regulations. Included in the design was renovation and upgrade of six passenger traction elevators and installation of two new passenger elevators serving this four-story building. Elevators were upgraded/installed to meet current ADA regulations, compliance with ANSI A17.3 and for general performance upgrade.
The Building Owners and Managers Association awarded The Office Building of the Year to the Courthouse in the category of historic renovation. The National Association of Counties recognized the Equipment Selection Procedure Based on Life Cycle Costing program as “an innovative program, which contributes to and enhances county government.”